Saturday, November 22, 2014

This Must Be What Hell Smells Like: Drybar Hot Toddy Heat Protector Frizz Fighter


Let me preface this post with a disclaimer: I used this product precisely once before returning it (you can probably tell why from the title), so I can't speak to how it works. That being said...

Welcome to my first "This must be what hell smells like" post. You know how in my banner it says the scent can make or break a product? Well, I'm putting this one in the "break" column. When I bought this, I had just cut my hair short for the first time in a while and I had grand plans of straightening my hair regularly (Ha! Tell that to my lazy self when I'm trying to get ready in 15 minutes or less in the morning). With that in mind, I began carefully comparing products on Sephora's website to see what might help cut down on frizz while also giving me heat protection and shine. I settled on Drybar's Hot Toddy Heat Protector and Frizz Fighter. It claims to "naturally enhance shine and bounce" by "sealing split ends" and "creating a protective barrier against heat." It's cruelty free and safe for use on keratin and color-treated hair. Sold.

It came in the mail and I decided to try it immediately. The first thing I did after I smoothed it into my hair was run my head under the faucet and rinse it all out. I can't even describe the smell. Reviews online say it smells fruity and other people thought it smelled great, so maybe my nose was off that day. Maybe I got a bad bottle. All I know is that I literally could not stand to live with the smell. I actually stuck my head in the sink because I couldn't even wait to get in the shower. The scent was overwhelmingly strong, and not in a good way. I returned it and went for a cheap drugstore heat protector while I looked for something better. Two years later I think I've straightened my hair once, so I'm glad I didn't end up spending a lot on a product I did need.

What's the last product that made you say, "Oh my gosh, no. You could not pay me to use this again"?

No comments:

Post a Comment